Sometimes you just get tired of eating the same ole stuff time and time again. Since becoming a vegetarian, I find myself picking something quick and easy instead of taking time to fix a separate meal for me. So I LOVE when I can make a larger quantity and freeze the extras for another day. Like these little babies:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 large celery stalk, strings removed and diced
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or quinoa flakes
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat or other whole grain flour,
or garbanzo flour
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend (Mrs. Dash)
- 1/2 teaspoon crush red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon McCormick’s Steak Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the carrot, garlic and celery and sauté until all the vegetables are tender and golden. Season with sage, Italian seasoning, crushed red peppers and black pepper.
Combine the vegetable mixture with the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Pulse on and off until the mixture is evenly and finely chopped, but don’t puree.
Drop by heaping 1/4 cup portions onto an oiled nonstick baking sheet (or better yet, a baking sheet lined with baking parchment) and flatten gently. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping each burger after 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. Amber slathered them with hot sauce and loved them.
Check out what’s happen with Lisa and her friends
Wishing you many Blessings